Sunday, September 24, 2006

Extreme Home Security

Tonight I sat on my sofa, in my very own apartment, wrapped in a quilt made by my grandmother, sipping a cup of hot cocoa, watching television, with a kitty curled in my lap. (How's that for a great sentence?) I am blessed beyond words. To be honest, blessed doesn't even touch the feeling I have this evening. In addition to a recent conversation with one of my uncles, and a great blog post by a friend of mine, a program on tv gave me the biggest case of the warm fuzzies. I watched a program that I have grown to love because I find it to be the purest form of selflessness and love found on television. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is quite possible one of my favorite shows ever. It ranks right up there with re-runs of Full House and Grey's Anatomy. The reason I bring this up, is because as I was sitting here I couldn't help crying. I watched as a family of 14 lived in a home not much larger in square footage than the very apartment I inhabit. 900 square feet to be exact. I watched as these children (very poised and loving children) showed genuine gratitude and happiness for the gift of a dining room table. "Hey! Everyone sit down! Just because we can." It gives me hope to know that there are people out there who have the same high standards as I do for what humanity is, was, and can be again. The phone call I spoke of was my uncle calling to tell me he loved me. Out of the blue, just because, he called to tell me how proud he was of me. And the blog by the friend? She very eliquently told a story of deep appreciation for a dear friend and I couldn't have worded it better if I'd tried. I understand that appreciation and pure, unadulterated gratitude more than I could ever explain. (Speaking of that, YEAH, Drew! I'll see in like 5 days, buddy!!)

Someday, I truly hope that I have a significant impact on another person that even remotely rivals my uncle, my friends, and the "television show". I want to provide people with the same levels of hope and security that I have been granted. Only then, will I consider myself a truly successful person.

No comments: