Thursday, April 14, 2005

April 14, 2005


Currently PlayingReturn to MeBy Dean MartinReturn to Mesee related
Todays RANT! brought to you by Homophobes!™ Quick to judge, slow to learn.
Today I will fill you in on a disheartening story. A dear friend of mine, who happens to be a coworker and a lesbian, went home to find her fourteen year old daughter in tears. Her best friend was supposed to stay the night at their house last weekend. She went to school full of excitment for the weekend that waited for her at the end of the school day. She was met by her friend, who told her that she was no longer allowed to come over because her parents found out that my friend was in a same-sex relationship and shared a home with her significant other. These close minded, "born-again Christians" apparently felt that it was their responsibilty to judge others and to "protect" their child from sinful people. Excuse me, but your child is going to be subjected to a lot worse by simply stepping foot into high school, my friend. Wake up and smell 2005. If you had asked me about this topic a year or two ago, I doubt that I would have a formed opinion, but as I have matured (which obviously some people have yet to do) my thought processes have matured and I have become increasingly open minded. My co-worker is merely one person I have to thank for that. She and her partner have been "married" for 4 1/2 years. They are two of the nicest, most talented people I have ever met and they are raising some of the most wonderful children I have ever had the privilege of meeting. These children are well-rounded, accepting and open minded individulas, thanks mostly to their unconventional family. After seeing the loving home that they maintain and their wonderful children, how can one honestly say that they are doing anything wrong? Although the idea of homosexuality does tend to make me a little squeamish, I would never go so far as to tell someone that they love they have found in another is unworthy of my recognition. They have found in each other what I, and many people, may spend our whole lives searching for. As far as the religious issue goes, I have a hard time judging people solely by a life decision they have made. We are not the ones who are meant to judge, we are to BE judged. So H, sweetheart, don't let any of this deter you from being the wonderful person that you are. Your friend, if she is who you think she is, will triumph over this and she will be a better person becasue of it, because of you. Through you, she will learn acceptance, love, forgiveness and also the lesson that your parents are not always right. They make mistakes. You are starting a cycle of hope. It begins with you and where it ends, you'll have no idea. If you have touched but one life, you have done an amazing thing! Good luck, keep your head up and know that your mom has a "family" at work that will always be here if you need someone to talk to.
Love, Liz

No comments: